Tuesday, February 6, 2007

They Let Us Stay Home For This?

Okay, so maybe I’m being a little hard on the way Memphians completely freak out at the tiniest particle of snow. I am certainly not complaining about getting a free day! Having lived in the Great White North in a city on Lake Ontario, though, I feel confident in saying that I know what real snow is. And this isn’t even close! But like I said, I’m not complaining.
I sometimes miss the often relentless snow of Rochester, the continuous blanket of white throughout the winter, the sound of its muffled crunch under my boots, and the perfect excuse to drink hot chocolate on a daily basis. On the other hand, I am extremely grateful that I don’t have to scrape it off of my car at least 3 times per day while my hands are freezing inside my soaked gloves.

While recovering from a terribly icky illness (which I am still not over), the free day was just what I needed. Neal woke me up by saying two glorious words, “snow day!” I was so ecstatic that I actually rolled over and went back to sleep. A short while later, I decided that we absolutely had to take Charlie out in the snow before it all melted. His first snow ever and I almost slept through it!
We harnessed up the dogs, bundled ourselves, strapped Charlie to Neal and headed out for a morning stroll in the “snow.” Charlie was mesmerized by that cold white fluffy stuff. The dogs enjoyed romping and poking their noses in the snow. I enjoyed watching Charlie and seeing our neighborhood covered (or lightly dusted) with snow. And of course, when we returned to the house, I drank hot chocolate.

No comments: