Friday, January 4, 2008

Post-holiday post (part I)

The Professor, Charlie and I spent a week and a half in holiday bliss. Fortunately, I work at a college that graciously closes its doors for a week at Christmas. And it’s paid time off! I remember working in my corporate hell and having to return to work on December 26. It totally deflates the holiday spirit for me. But enough of that. Onto the holiday post (part I)!



Robyn, Seb and unborn yet-to-be-named baby girl came to Memphis for Christmas. We had a marvelous time visiting, talking about babies, and gearing up for Charlie’s 2nd Christmas morning. Last year, we did not expect him to have a clue about what was going on, but he tore into his presents like an old pro.



This year, he had even more fun. We started off the holiday celebrations at the Professor’s aunt and uncle’s house. There, we visited with cousins and their adorable families and enjoyed the first round of holiday food. Part I of Christmas Eve was spent with the Professor’s family. We went to his brother’s home, visited with more cousins, nieces and nephews and opened gifts. Charlie and Drew were enamored with Charlie’s new “car.” They had a blast rolling around the house in it.



Later that evening, we went to my parents’ house, ate a huge holiday dinner, and opened even more presents. It’s official. My kid understands what this holiday is all about – presents. In fact, a few days before Christmas, he walked up to the Christmas tree, pointed to the wrapped gifts resting underneath it and said “presents!”


After Charlie finally went to bed on Christmas Eve, Robyn, Seb, Gammy, the Professor and I set out to playing Santa. And boy, there was a lot to do. Earlier this month, determined to complete my holiday shopping in a timely manner, I bought presents to Charlie from Santa – 4 books, a mini-stuffed giraffe, shoes, a winter coat, and a couple of other little goodies. I felt that that was MORE than enough, especially considering that I had already heard about the 10 plus gifts my mom had gotten him and the fact that Gammy, Aunt Robyn, Uncle Steve, Aunt D, et. al. had all gotten him gifts. But, being the adorable father that he is, the Professor was determined to take a part in the selection of gifts. So, he also went shopping and purchased 2 bath toys, another book, another pair of shoes, and something else, I’m sure. This boy had a BIG Christmas. In addition to getting the toys set out, we also assembled Aunt D’s gift, a mini-playground equipped with a slide, swing, lookout telescope, and steering wheel. It was a busy night.



On Christmas morning, Charlie woke without a clue about what the day was to bring. I gave him his milk in bed so that when he entered the den, he could fully focus on his Santa lot with a full belly. He was a little apprehensive at first – probably because the five of us were staring at him and giggling. But once he realized that the big pile of goodies in the middle of the room was all for him, he loosened up and went to town playing with all of his stash. We enjoyed a leisurely morning of Bailey’s and coffee, homemade quiche and chocolates for breakfast, and of course, presents. I am so looking forward to all of the reading I have before me such as this, this, and this.


Because Robyn had to be back at work the next day, we prepared for their early afternoon departure. We wished them and Gammy farewell and spent the rest of the day, gluttonous, on the sofa. Charlie took an unusually long nap, I am sure dreaming of all of the love, gifts, and excitement of the previous days.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!