Friday, April 20, 2007

Bowl Food

Ever since I allowed carbs to come back into my life (when I was pregnant), I have been in search of the perfect pasta bowl. I have scoured stores like William Sonoma, Macy’s, and Target, to name a few. Nothing I found was just right. This one’s too big, this one’s too small, this one’s not deep enough, this one is just a salad bowl. I finally gave up my search around the holiday season and left my hunt to a mere passing inquiry while in some of these stores for other necessary purchases. Until finally, I found my perfect bowl. It is the perfect size and shape and only cost $5. Finally! Patience has it’s rewards!

Since I bought a set of these bowls a week ago, I have eaten out of a bowl no less than 4 times. Thus, my realization that I love eating food out of a bowl. Salad, soup, the beef bourguignon I made last weekend for the Sullivans, rice dishes, pasta, etc. Bowl food is my favorite kind of meal. The Professor will gladly slop a pile of spaghetti and meatballs or lay out a nice green salad on his flat plate. I, however, can’t stand eating salad off a plate. How do you amply coat the leaves in dressing without being able to toss the salad in its own bowl? And pasta? No, it just doesn’t work. In fact, I have even changed my mind about a dinner choice because I didn’t have the proper bowl from which to eat. Until now. I’m in bowl heaven. Target - $4.99 – white – made in China.

This brings me to a conversation with The Professor about this little oddity of mine. I told him how happy I am to have perfect bowl livelihood and that I hope he does not think I’m weird…

“Weird? You’ve been a little OCD about it. But I’ve known about that side of you all along.”

“Well, I just love food from a bowl.”

“Like a dog?”

“No, just regular human food from a bowl. A dog doesn’t use a fork or a spoon. Duh.”

“But, you can’t eat steak from a bowl.”

“You can if it is chopped up and resting on a bed of mashed potatoes. Mmmmm...buttery mashed potatoes.”

“But, if you put steak in a bowl, where are all the juices going to go? Are you just going to eat your steak in a pool of steak juice?”

“Yum. And yes, it’s practically the same dilemma with steak on a plate.”

“We should invent a plate that has a juice drainage system – a colander plate if you will. That way, the juices would drain off, and your bloody steak doesn’t have to bathe in it.”

“Like a George Forman Grill.”

Now who’s weird?

No comments: